Geography Of India
India is a country in the continent of Asia which falls in the Northern Hemisphere and is surrounded by sea on three sides at the top of the Indian Ocean in the southern part of Asia. The length of India is 3214 kilometers from north to south and 2933 kilometers from east to west. Nepal, Bhutan, and China in the north of India, Sri Lanka, and the Indian Ocean in the south are Bangladesh, Myanmar, and the Bay of Bengal in the east and Pakistan and the Arabian Sea in the west.
India’s latitudinal range is from 80 4 ‘north latitude to 370 6’ north latitude and longitude 680 7 ‘east longitude to 970’ 25 longitudes.
The area of India is 32,87,263 square kilometers, which ranks seventh in the world in terms of area. About 90.44 percent of the landmass of India and the remaining 9.56 percent is the watershed. The land boundary of India is 15,106,170 km 0 (9,386,87 m).
The highest point of India is K-2 with a height of 8,611 meters (28,251.3 ft). India’s lowest point is Kanyakumari (-2.2 meters or -7.2 feet).
The longest river in India is the Ganges-Brahmaputra and the largest lake is the Chilka Lake.
More About India
India is second in the world after China in terms of population. Currently, the population of India is around 1.35 billion. About 16% of the world’s population lives in India.
The Tropic of Cancer passes through the middle of India. The states of India passing through the Tropic of Cancer are Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Mizoram, and Tripura.
There are a total of 248 islands in India, of which 223 are located in the Bay of Bengal and 25 in the Arabian Sea.
India’s maritime boundary is 7,516 kilometers long and the terrestrial border is 15, 200 kilometers long.
Rajasthan is the largest state of India in terms of area and the smallest state in Goa. In terms of area, the largest union territory of India is Andaman Nicobar Deep Group, and the smallest union territory in Lakshadweep.
In terms of population, the largest state of India is Uttar Pradesh, and the smallest state in Sikkim.
The standard time of India is derived from a place called Naini near Allahabad whose longitude is 820 30 ‘East which is 5 hours 30 minutes ahead of Greenwich meantime.
India’s terrestrial border with Pakistan and Afghanistan in the northwest, Tibet, China, Nepal, and Bhutan in the north, Bangladesh and Myanmar in the east, Maldweep in the southwest, Sri Lanka in the south. It seems to be in the far south of Thailand and Indonesia.
The southernmost point of India is Indira Point which is located in Great Nicobar Island and the northernmost point is the Indira period which is located in Jammu and Kashmir.
The easternmost point of India is Kibithu, the westernmost point is Sikrik which falls in Gujarat.
There are 28 states and 09 union territories in India. The centrally appointed management rules over the elected governments and union territories in the states. There is also a democratic government of Delhi and Pondicherry. Chandigarh is the only union territory which is the capital of two states – Punjab and Haryana.
Gujarat has the longest coastline of India followed by Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra respectively.
Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Goa, Gujarat, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Tripura, Nagaland, West Bengal, Punjab, Bihar, Manipur, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Haryana, and Himachal Pradesh.
Union Territories of India: Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Pondicherry, Lakshadweep, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh.
Types of Seasons
According to the Indian Meteorological Department, there are four types of seasons in India:
- Winter (from December to March)
- Summer (from April to June)
- Rainy (from July to September)
- Autumn (October to November).
The history of urbanization in India begins with the cities of the Indus Valley Civilization.
India is divided into five natural parts: the mountainous region of the north, the vast plain of the north, the peninsular plateau of the south, the seaside plains, and the Thar Desert.
India is divided into five parts on the basis of physical composition and surface pattern: north mountain region, south plateau, vast plains, seaside plains, and islands.
Major Mountain Ranges
A Himalayan mountain range, Trance Himalayan, Purvanchal hills, and Himalayan mountain range in the northern mountain region.