A gerund is a form of a verb that functions as a noun. a verb can be made a gerund or verbal noun by adding “ing” to the main verb.
The following sentences can explain the gerund very clearly.
- Running is a good habit.
- Ritu loves dancing.
- The people went shouting.
Different Uses of the Gerund
It can be used as subject to the verb
- Reading books is a good habit.
- Flying makes me nervous.
- Smoking causes lung cancer.
- Hunting lions are dangerous.
- Trespassing is prohibited.
It can be used as an object to the verb
- I hate washing dirty clothes.
- Renu enjoys swimming in the sea.
- Disha likes meditating in the morning.
- Rohit hates eating salad.
- Rohan enjoys watching cricket.
It can be used as the subject of the complement
- Our basic need is forming good communication.
- Their plan is rejecting the teacher.
- His actions are speaking louder than his words.
It can be used as the object of a preposition
- She is fond of watching birds.
- Julie is concerned about retaining her status.
- He kept on asking for money.
- She always puts off going to the dentist.
- Meena was blamed for praying in the temple.
It can be used after some expressions
- Sneha couldn’t help falling in love with him.
- Amyra can’t stand being stuck in traffic jams.
- It’s no use trying to escape.