What is Software?
Definition: A Software is a collection of data and computer instructions that tells the computer how to do work.
Example: Microsoft Publisher, EndNote, Windows movie maker.
Software is used in every field of life such as Business fields, Medical Field, Home, Education, Industries, Communication, etc.
Types of Software
There are two types of software :
- System Software
- Application Software
- Computer software is designed to provide a platform for other software. It helps to run hardware and software applications.
- System software manages resources.
- System software runs from starting to the end of the system.
- The system software is developed using C++, C, and Assembly, etc.
- The system software is the essential nor proper and normal functioning of a system.
- Example: Operating system, Language Processor and Device Drivers, etc.
- Software designed to perform a group of co-ordinate functions for the benefit of the user.
- Application software runs only when the user requires it.
- Application software is developed using different languages such as Java, C, C++, and Visual Basics, etc.
- Application software is not extremely important for the proper and normal functioning of the system.
- Example: Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Presentation Software, Graphics Software, and Web Browser, etc.
Advantages of Software
- Software increases productivity by increasing work speed.
- Risk is reduced by Software re-engineering.
- The software produces more flexible system.
- The software produces systems with excellent documentation.
- Software increases the potential by optimization.
- Software is object-oriented.
- Easily Copies can be made without printing.
- It can easily correct mistakes which are made.
Disadvantages of Software
- Software is an expensive system.
- Software is very difficult to customize.
- The software requires training and maintenance staff.
- The software needs to be defined accurately.
- The software has very limited backup and support.
- Software is not built-in threads.
- Software data can be lost due to data corruption.
- Some symbols are not easily accessible.