- A gene is a unit of information that directs the activity of the cell or organism during its lifetime.it transfers its message along to the progeny when all the organism divides or reproduce.
- Mendel factor which is transmitted from one generation to another came to be known as genes.
- The term genes were given by W. Johannsen.
- Genes are considered as beads and chromosomes as strings of beads.
- Gene a unit of function which is also known as Cistron.
- Gene is the unit of mutation which is also known as Mutant.
- Gene is a unit of recombination which is also known as Recon.
- In the other words gene is a hereditary unit which is the appearance of phenotype trait.
- It is the smallest unit.
Properties of Gene
- Genes are responsible for the transmission of characteristics from one generation to another generation.
- Determine the physical and metabolic characteristics of the cell.
- They are situated in chromosomes.
- There are several genes in each chromosome.
- Genes occupy a fixed position in the chromosome.
- They are arranged in a single linear order in a chromosome.
- A single gene may occur in several different forms called alleles.
- Genes have only two alleles, each of them works alternative expression of the same trait.
- Genes express themselves through the production of protein which controls cell metabolism.
- Genes on one chromosome may be transferred to another as a result of crossing over.
Difference Between Gene and DNA
Function of Genes
- Gene should be able to replicate.
- Gene should be inherited by progeny faithfully.
- Gene should be susceptible to an occasional change by way of mutation and Sachin should be stably inherited.
- Gene should be able to carry all the information which are necessary to program the function of a cell.